About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Thursday 13 May 2010

Finishing the Bodice


After altering the bodice I then had to do the finishings. The top and bottom edges needed piping and we decided that the armholes were not going to have sleeves so needed a concealed binding. I found these finishes on the bodice quite difficult because the layers of fabric were so thick.

The left side of the bodice needed a placket for the fastenings and it was at this point that I realised I had not left a 5cm seam allowance when cutting my pattern pieces out. Because of this I had to cut a facing out and sew it to the centre back, and luckily I had enough fabric left over. It is little mistakes like this that I need to think about because one day it could cause alot more problems.

I think I could have made the finishings on the bodice look a bit neater but I found it really hard because the fabric was so thick and this has made it look slightly untidy. I think if I had done alot more pressing this would have helped to tidy it up a bit.

1 comment:

  1. Your Tutu and Bodice look Great! I am trying to sew a bodice, but I would like to know if I am using velvet do I need to make a lining? If so, how do I sew the lining on? I am 15 years old and I am not sure how to do this. If you want to see my mock up, my blog is The Jolly Seamstress. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete