About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Friday 7 May 2010

Fitting

l
Seeing as we are making our tutus for Arts Ed in London, and we had to fit it around the dancers we were only able to have one fitting. When I turned up I was told that my dancer had dropped out and that I would have to fit my tutu to a new much smaller dancer. This was a bit daunting seeing as I only have a week to complete my tutu for hand in anyway and I was already nervous, but I got on with my fitting and after taking the time to make it fit the new dancer I realised that it wasn't as bad as I initially thought it would be.

Obviously seeing as my dancer was so much smaller than my original one I had to take the bodice in on the main seams, CF, SSF, SSB and CB. the amount taken off the CB was quite a lot so this will be distributed along with the SB seam. The Basque also had to have a dart put in which means I will have to re-do the waistband to fit the new measurement. The images below show my fitting.

I think that considering being told just before my fitting that my dancer had change, I coped quite well with the fitting overall. I tried to ensure that the dancer was comfortable throughout the whole process, and to get to know the dancer to make her feel more comfortable, I also tried to get the fitting done as quickly and as efficiently as possible without rushing so that she wasn't in the fitting for too long.
Overall I think my fitting went well, I just got on with what had to be altered. I found it quite difficult at first because in dancewear you use safety pins and the fabric was really thick as there was three layers to go through so it was hard to push the pin through. I had to have some assisstance with which seams to alter and which ones to leave but apart from that I knew which areas needed altering, such as the shoulder seam, changing the armhole, and the neckline.
Having a fitting with a client who is going to buy the costume taught me alot about working in this industry and how to work professionally, I had to travel to London to Arts Ed to be able to carry out the fitting with my dancer. This alone taught me how to cope with transporting a large costume from one place to another on public transport which could happen in the industry. I had to think about how to protect my costume, and be aware of everyone around me. It also made me think about how to look professional in front of the client so that they have confidence in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment