About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Sunday 2 May 2010

Making the tutu plate

The plate for the tutu goes over the top of the actual tutu and is the decoration. My plate is the same fabric as the bodice so ties it all together, there is a net layer underneath this which is the net I dyed earlier. I learnt how to make the plate by cutting a hole in a piece of calico by using a sunray effect of cutting, the putting this over the mannequin with my tutu on it. I then could draw out the plate pattern piece. This method of creating the plate could be used as a way of drafting a quick skirt if I jut wanted a basic circular skirt so was a handy method to learn.

Once I had drafted the plate pattern I then used the example tutu to draw out the decoration on my pattern piece, I found this quite difficult because the two tutus were such different sizes but I learnt to manouver the pattern to make the decoration fit. This was useful to learn because if I ever have to re-make a costume with decoration on it I will know how to transfer the decoration so that it looks exactly the same even if the costume is slightly bigger or smaller.

I also learnt how to cut the net plate and top plate using my calico pattern, this was useful because if I ever need to make a skirt I will know how to use my pattern to cut out in top fabric by just lying the calico pattern over the top and cutting round, and with the net by laying the net on top of the pattern the tacking the waistline and hemline. This will be a much quicker way of making a simple circular skirt so will be useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment