About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Friday 14 May 2010

Finishing the Tutu

Before I could do the finishings on my tutu I had to alter the basque and waistband so I had to then sew the netting and plate on again which was very time consuming. To finish the netting I had to use a very small zig zag stitch to create a satin stitch on the edge. I found this really difficult and I think this shows on the tutu. I think I should of practiced this more before doing it on my tutu because I think it is really untidy but it would of looked worse if I had unpicked it and started again. This is something I can think about for the future because sometimes I do rush into doing a task when I should practice to make sure I can do it perfectly and it doesn't take that much more time.

I had to put a facing onto the plate before sewing it to the tutu, I found this really hard again because of the fabric being so thick and in places found it impossible to fold the placket under and for it to stay in place. If I had more time I would of started again with the facing and if i had more fabric but due to these issues I had to leave the facing as it is.

I needed to put a placket on the plate for the fastening, when I first did this I sewed it to the basque wrong so it made the plate CB wonky in comparison to the tutu CB, so I had to take the whole plate of again and change the placket. Once I had made sure that I sewed the right side down I could then sew the plate back on, this had a big effect on my time because this was a very time consuming task. For the future I need to ensure that everything is lying right before sewing it down properly.



Lastly I then stitched the bias binding to the top of the plate and sew this to the basque to finish off the tutu and hide the rough edges. I reaslised that this would of been alot easier to sew it to the plate before sewing it to the tutu, I felt that thinking this shows that I am starting to learn on my own which this whole project was about, noticing little things like this will save me alot of time.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment