About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Thursday 29 April 2010

Stringing the Tutu

Stringing a tutu is where you have to loosely sew the layers of the tutu together to make it lie as flat as possible, it compacts it together a bit more and stops it looking so fluffy. I didn't even know that a tutu had this but after stringing it I could see the difference it has made.

Another method I used to flatten the tutu was to lay it on a flat surface then put something heavy over the top of it, or you could put it under your matress and sleep on it. It is left for a few days then taken out, and this flattens it even more.

I think these two methods are quite specific to tutus so I don't know whether they will help me a massive amount with future projects but if I am working with lots of layers of net I have learnt a way to control it and make it lie how I want. I also now understand the tutu much more and how thy get them to lie flat like a pancake.

No comments:

Post a Comment