About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Friday 16 April 2010

Making up the Bodice





Once drafted I could start cutting my bodice pattern out of my top fabric. It is backed in cotton drill. When cutting I had to be absolutely sure that everything was being cut on the right bias or straight of grain. I learnt a useful technique of cutting the pattern pieces which was after I had cut the cotton drill pieces to press them one at a time to the top fabric then pin and cut. This was effective because it ensured that the pattern piece was lying flat and just made it easier to cut around. This method will be useful for anything that I make that has to be backed.

Once all the pieces were cut I then had to tack the layers together, as I said earlier in my research in order to be more prepared to work in the industry I have to speed up and tacking is one thing I feel i need to do this. So when tacking I tried to speed myself up a bit which did help and made me realise it doesn't have to be perfect because it is going to eventually be removed anyway.

When it came to sewing my bodice together I learnt another useful tip for when making a bodice or corset which is to pin the pieces together so that each seam the pins heads will be facing opposite directions then when sewing the pieces together sew in the direction of the pins as this prevents the bodice from being distorted by the machine.

It is small tips like these which will help make me a more precise maker and perfect my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment