About Me

Essex & Bournemouth,, United Kingdom
I am currently a second year student studying costume with performance design at The Arts Unversity College in Bournemouth. My blog will be a way for me to present my progression throughout my time on the costume course and show how my making skills develop through a variety of units that I will carry out.

Thursday 22 April 2010

Hooping the Tutu




On the 7th layer of net there is a hooping channel which is just a strip of net with a straight stitch either side, this should of been sewn on before the net was pleated but I didnt do this so had to struggle and sew it on when all the tutu was together. Once the channel was sewn on I then needed to push a piece of steel crin through the channel, this had to be exactly the right amount to make the tutu lie as flat as possible.

I really struggled with this and it was at this point that I was thinking "do I really want to do dancewear?" I spent ages pushing more crin in then taking more out then once I thought I had got it right and put it on the mannequin it didn't sit right so I had to try again. I think it was at this point that I started to question if this was what I really wanted to do because it frustrated me so much and it seemed that at every stage I had made a small mistake and had to go back, but then that has made me learn and with everything it will never go perfect first time. I'm still not 100% sure I want to go into dancewear I think I will know when I have the completed tutu in front of me. The images below show before the crin was right and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment